Veterinary Technician - Mountain View Veterinary Hospital
Powered by Galaxy Vets, Inc.
Galaxy Vets is an employee-centric, employee-owned veterinary healthcare system with a mission to give veterinary medicine back to veterinary professionals. We offer equity and a competitive benefits package all intended to prevent burnout and enable you to focus on what you love--providing quality care to pets and their families.
Located in beautiful Sheridan, Wyoming, Mountain View Veterinary Hospital is an AAHA accredited, fully equipped progressive veterinary facility staffed with an experienced and professional team. We provide a multitude of veterinary services and procedures, ranging from ultrasound, dentistry, TPLO surgeries, endoscopy, chemotherapy, laser therapy and everything in between. We pride ourselves on compassionate care for patients and clients. Engaged communication with clients is a top priority for our team. We are looking for a licensed veterinary technician with excellent communication skills.
Our hours of operation are Monday - Friday 7 am - 6 pm. We are committed to finding balance between our professional and private lives, therefore, after hours or on call time is shared equally among all of the tech staff.
Role responsibilities and skills:
- Assist doctors with appointments, surgery, medical procedures and client education.
- Perform initial patient evaluation, collect patient vital signs, reporting to doctor regarding nature of visit, preventative care due and client concerns.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory samples such as blood, urine, fecal and ear cytology.
- Ability to restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures.
- Knowledge of proper patient positioning, technique, and unit operation to obtain radiographs.
- Venipuncture and placing intravenous catheters, calculating and initiating drip rates and administering intravenous medications.
- Prepare and set up for surgical and dental procedures utilizing knowledge of proper sterile technique and ensuring equipment is in working order.
- Perform dental prophylaxis and periodontal care under direct veterinary supervision.
- Monitor anesthesia and recovery of surgery patients and communicate with owners.
- Accurately prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pet’s record and appropriately charged to the client.
- Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
- Maintains a safe, secure, healthy and humane environment by sanitizing holding and operating areas, sterilizing and wrapping instruments, verifying shelf life, following standards and procedures in compliance with applicable legal regulations.
- Monitor hospitalized pets and administer treatments with compassionate care. Assure animals have food and water when appropriate and monitor for disease and complications.
- Utilize hospital computer systems to document medical records and communicate with clients and teammates.
This is a non-exhaustive list of the essential duties and responsibilities required to be performed by the Veterinary Technician, with or without a reasonable accommodation. Other duties may be assigned as necessary for the smooth operation of the clinic.
- Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) required
- May consider equivalent combination of education, experience, training and certification.
- At least one to two years of relevant experience is preferred, but new grads will be considered
- General understanding of animal anatomy and physiology and veterinary terminology.
- Ability to stay focused and perform correct procedures in stressful or emergency situations.
- Flexible about schedule as may include some weekend and evening shifts.
- Excellent communication skills, works well with others, a sense of urgency and a desire for continuous improvement.
- Follow OSHA standards by demonstrating proper use of PPE when handling hazardous materials/chemicals/drugs and using medical imaging techniques such as radiology and other diagnostic procedures. Practice best safety precautions to prevent workplace hazards, ie: placing Wet Floor signs in visible area before mopping the floor and in place until the floor is dry and reporting any potential workplace hazards to management.
- Advanced animal handling, restraint, surgical and medical procedures experience.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis and occasionally lift up to 100 pounds or more with assistance.
- Tasks may involve prolonged periods of standing, reaching, walking, kneeling, crawling, bending, lifting, balancing, and crouching.
- Ability to work around sick or fractious animals, zoonotic diseases, hazardous materials and cleaning chemicals and anesthetic gas.
- Aligns with our Core Values: Founders Mindset, Sees the Bigger Picture, Always Evolving, Lead with Integrity, Sense of Humor.
- Equity in the company
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Option to participate in voluntary and company-paid benefit programs.
- CE and licensure allowance with focus on Continuous Improvement.
- Ongoing Feedback loops to ensure Employee satisfaction and autonomy with strong
focus on burnout prevention.
Galaxy Vets is a veterinary healthcare system co-owned by its employees. With a mission to give veterinary medicine back to veterinarians, Galaxy Vets allocates equity in the organization to its employees — veterinarians, specialists, technicians, administrative staff workforce — making them co-owners of and shareholders in the entire network.
We would love for you to join us on our mission to give veterinary medicine back to
Galaxy Vets is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, genetic information or sexual orientation, gender expression or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. We celebrate and embrace our current and ever expanding diverse and inclusive culture and recognize it as a strength that empowers all team members.
Sheridan, WY is a nature lover's paradise, with stunning views and unlimited options for outdoor recreation. Spend time in the surrounding mountains hiking, camping, biking, rock climbing, horseback riding, or just taking in the gorgeous sites and wildlife. It is a family oriented area with a good school system. Our town offers a wealth of cultural and historical venues and activities, as well as an amazing selection of entertainment, dining and craft breweries. There is simply something for everyone to enjoy in this town to put more life into your work- life balance.
To view our full service list and more about our clinic, please visit http://mvvhpets.com/#services.